Being a digital marketing company in Los Angeles means we know all about SEO. A common question we always get is: “When is my page going to rank?” While it is a reasonable inquiry, this question comes from a lack of understanding of how SEO works today. Allow us to explain in detail.
Producing Relevant Keywords
A few years back, the strategy to help pages rank was to identify the keywords that were most relevant to a certain industry. The people in SEO later figured out that that strategy was not working; no one keyword or group of keywords is going to drive up traffic to your website. If you are going to focus on generic keywords, chances are people searching for your page are not finding you.
To solve this problem, SEO today has adapted to the way people use search engines now. SEO is now driven by natural language searches; people today use search engines by asking common, usual questions. Why is this happening?
It is because of apps like Google Now and Siri that allow people to speak their searches rather than type them. When people speak their searches rather than type them, they tend to be more detailed so they can find what they are looking for faster.
Using keywords that are based on natural language searches can help your page rank higher because they are more relevant.
Focusing on the End Goal
Page rankings are important, but it’s not the only factor you should be focusing on. If you have to ask “when is my page going to be ranked number one?” then you’re focusing on the means rather than the end.
The end goal of SEO should be generating sales – revenue for your company. While it’s nice to see your page on top of the rankings, if it’s not getting you the additional business you’ve been looking for then it doesn’t really matter now, does it?
Expecting Results for Your Page
The million-dollar question now is: “When am I going to get leads?” Several factors will determine the answer such as:
- How long has your website been up?
- How much SEO work has been done on your site?
- How is your website performing?
- How much content is on your page?
To make SEO work for your company is going to take effort. If you’re planning to make use of SEO to help your business generate leads, here’s the work that you have to put in:
- Do your research. Perform an audit of your website and plan your keyword strategy.
- Get on the technical side. Based on the results of your audit, do the necessary modifications on your website.
- Add content. With the modifications done on your website, it’s time to add content. Write blogs posts, FAQs, company information, etc.
- Consider social media. Adding a social media strategy once your page is optimized can help improve your page’s link profile and thus produce potential leads naturally.
- Figure out if you’re getting leads. If you’re page has reached a sizable number of visitors, let’s say at least 5,000 visitors, it’s time to analyze whether your efforts have been working. Consider performing additional optimization if you’re not reaching your targets.
Keeping Your Page Going
Once your page is SEO-optimized and you’re getting the results you want, don’t stop. SEO is a long-term marketing plan that can ensure your business continues to get the revenue you want. As the best internet marketing consultant that you can rely on, we know that SEO is one of the best investments you can make for your company.